[tex-live] hyph_size setting in texmf.cnf

Petr Sojka sojka at fi.muni.cz
Wed Aug 24 19:04:53 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:00:09PM +0200, tex-live-request at tug.org wrote:
> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:32:06 +0200
> From: karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry)
> Subject: [tex-live] hyphenation exception list max
>
> In the process of updating the hyphenation exception list for the next
> tugboat (going to the printer later this week, hopefully), Barbara and I
> discovered that the list, after Werner's hyphenex.sh script is run to
> produce variants, has grown to about 1025 entries.
>
> TL's texmf.cnf sets hyph_size to 1000.  So if anyone actually tried to
> use the list, they'd lose.
>
> So I'd like to increase hyph_size to 5000 (at least).  Anyone see
> problems with that, or have a different number to propose?  (I'll also
> ask Christian to do the same with miktex.)

Knuth comment in tex.web (section 12) is that hyph_size
should be a prime number (but it is not checked in the code).
I admit I do not now implications (effectiveness of hash function
for locating the hyphenation exception?) not following this constraints.
I'd suggest default setting of hyph_size to a prime that is
higher than sum of biggest expection lists for at least American
English and German (current dehyphtex.tex has about 800 words).
A prime around 5000 may suffice for some years.

Best
Petr