[tex-live] Re: TL binary builds?

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 20 11:34:52 CEST 2005

Manfred Lotz writes:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:14:40 +0200
> karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>> Hi Manfred, Gerben, all,
>>
>> I guess I should have mentioned that the current sources are in
>> source.development.  Olaf made some fixes last night in the course of
>> updating mips-irix, so the last change which needs to be included at
>> this point is #7721 on 2005/08/13 13:07:22.  Gerben, sorry, I don't
>> know what time zone that is or how to translate into yours.
>>
>> Anyway, besides p4, the sources can be retrieved by rsync:
>> rsync -a --exclude Images \
>> tug.org::tldevsrc/Build/source.development/TeX/texk/web2c .
>> Or http:
>> wget -np --mirror \
>> http://tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Build/source.development/TeX/texk/web2c

That's _just_ the web2c directory.  For a complete build you need all
under
	http://tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Build/source.development/
Plus suitable texmf and texmf-dist trees, e.g.:
	http://tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf-dist
	http://tug.org/texlive/devsrc/Master/texmf

Otherwise you have a partial source tree (from which you _cannot_ do a
build) and miss some of the files needed to generate formats, which
breaks the final step in 'make world'.  Symptoms of an incomplete
source tree look like this:

> ./configure --prefix=`pwd` --datadir=`pwd` --enable-multiplatform

> That worked. Then I tried: make
> and got:

> cd lib && make   -I /home/manfred/Documents/programming/make CC='cc'
> CFLAGS='-O -pipe ' LDFLAGS='' make: don't know how to make /config.h.
> Stop *** Error code 2

> Stop in /data/dl/web2c.

> The problem seems to be that in lib/Makefile  the variable
> kpathsea_srcdir isn't defined and this gives /config.h for
> $(kpathsea_srcdir)/config.h

> I guess this is all my fault. If you could tell me how to properly
> build it?

See above.  If you have the bandwidth and disk space, the easiest way
is to just grab everything under 'devsrc/Master' and 'devsrc/Build'.

--
Olaf Weber