[tex-live] clash on $HOME/.texmf-var/web2c between TL2005 and other packages

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 8 00:17:14 CEST 2005

George White wrote:

>I'm testing TL2005 on Redhat Fedora Core 4 with Redhat's tetex.  Both packages
>create generated formats in $HOME/.texmf-var/web2c, so when the .pool files
>differ you get errors when switching between packages.  I'm used to switching
>between TeX packages pretty dynamically using environment modules to manage the
>PATH setting.  The simple fix is to change texmf.cnf to use something like
>$HOME/.tl2005/texmf-var, etc.

one way to proceed would be to make RPMs for texlive
which did the same job as tetex. This is almost complete,
for Debian, so RPM would not be that big a job.

personally, I don't think TL should work around things as you
suggest. it would be much better to NOT mix and match binaries,
surely?

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk