[tex-live] Re: Packaging SourceFiles for TeX live/Debian

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Aug 2 13:24:41 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Die, 02 Aug 2005, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> >- Leave it in source and binary and try to hack all errors
>> >
>> obviously this is the Right thing to do. But its a pretty big
>> bit of work.
>
> Well, obviously it is not to me. Why is the source actually needed for
> *running* TeX?

Even if it isn't needed, it should be as correct as possible.  Talking
in bug severities, it's minor or wishlist, but if it's a bug it's still
a bug, even when it's in a separate binary package with the sources, or
only in the source package.

>> can you give an example of a package where the problems apply?
>
> collection-latexextra:
> 	binary:
> 	..../splitindex/splitindex-Linux-i386

In my view, the ideal solution to this would be to have a source package
that produces the architecture-dependent binary package that contains
splitindex, and the arch=all binary package that contains
splitindex.sty.

A more realistic solution would be to simply remove the precompiled
binaries from the orig.tar.gz, both of the arch=all package and of the
arch=any package.  This has the additional benefit that it will never
happen that you accidently upload a version which fails to compile
splitindex, but doesn't detect that because it simply takes the
precompiled file.

> 	wrong shell path:
> 	source/latex/wordcount/wordcount.sh #!/usr/bin/sh

Is there any sane system in the world where the POSIX shell is not in
/bin/?

> 	wront tcl path:
> 	source/latex/calendar/mkaddr.tcl #!/usr/local/bin/tclsh

Isn't there a tcl analogon to the magic perl header?

http://www.inf.bme.hu/~pts/Magic.Perl.Header/

> collection-fontsextra:
> 	shell-script-fails-syntax-check
> 	fonts/source/public/wsuipa/compilefonts
>
> I can fix these errors either in the Depot, or in the Debian diff, what
> do you think?

It doesn't matter as long as somebody pesters upstream to fix them in
their sources and on CTAn, too.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster