[tex-live] Re: sparc solaris binaries -- pdftex

Adrian Lanz lanz at fowi.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 23 09:54:25 CEST 2004

On 22 Sep 2004, te at dbs.uni-hannover.de wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 07:18:23PM -0500, Maksym Polyakov wrote:
>> apparently there was some overflow in /Length1 -- it should be 810
>
> Ah, now it sounds familiar. Adrian Lanz has reported the same to
> pdftex at tug.org (09 Aug 2004, he uses SUN Solaris 9 / gcc 3.3.2).

Yes, I had exactly the same problem recently installing teTeX-beta
2.96.7.20040721. In my case, the symptom was that pdflatex run without
error, but a wrong /Length1 parameter was inserted in the PDF output
file, which evidently caused Acrobat Reader's error message (no
problem, however, with xpdf or with the "dvips -Ppdf" routine).

I think I solved the problem by changing the order and rules how
shared libraries are found and handled on my Sun Sparc Solaris 2.9
system, and/or I may have re-installed some programs and libraries
(ncurses, gettext, libiconv). I am sorry not being more specific on
what I did exactly to solve the problem (could also have been a gd
problem?). At the moment, the working configure for teTeX-beta seems
to be:

 	./configure --prefix=$MY_LOCAL/teTex$MY_TETEX_VERSION \
 	    --disable-multiplatform \
 	    --without-texinfo \
 	    --with-system-ncurses \
 	    --with-ncurses-include=$MY_LOCAL/include/ncurses \
	    --with-system-zlib \
	    --with-system-t1lib \
	    --with-system-pnglib \
	    --with-system-gd >00-configure.output 2>&1

Could be that the "--with-ncurses-include=" option is the important
one?

With regards to shared library handling, I use:

LD_RUN_PATH=<path to gcc libraries>:<library path to where I installed
many basic GNU and other tools and
programs>:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/sparcv9:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/openwin/lib/sparcv9

LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64=/usr/lib/sparcv9:/usr/openwin/lib/sparcv9

LD_CONFIG=<personal ld.conf file>

ld.conf file (using crle program): <path to gcc libraries>:<library
path to where I installed many basic GNU and other tools and
programs>:/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/lib:<path to
libraries of system-wide installed programs>

During installation of GNU and similar tools and programs which I
install myself, I link LD_CONFIG to an alternative ld.conf file
containing the following paths: <path to gcc libraries>:<library path
to where I installed many basic GNU and other tools and
programs>:/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib

Bye, Adrian.