[tex-live] Re: updmap.cfg (and fmtutil.cnf)

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Wed Sep 15 20:36:29 CEST 2004

> I think there is a layout-inconsistency here in TeX Live. The tool
> fmtutil is installed like the tool updmap from the Makefile in
> texk/tetex, but fmtutil.cnf is installed from texk/web2c and updmap.cfg
> is not installed at all.

fmtutil.cnf is created according to the configure options given in the
source tree. updmap.cfg changes with the texmf tree (e.g. if a font family
is added) and the src tarball would be the wrong place to maintain that
file. I also don't want to install a dummy by "make install", because I
consider it dangerous to have such duplicates. It might be ok for gwtex,
as you have quite a lot of control over all texmf trees, but for teTeX,
I don't know where people actually unpack the texmf tarball (they *should*
create a texmf-dist, but I can't be sure).

So, I think that there are good reasons why things are as they are.
The build issues should have been resolved now.

Thomas