[tex-live] LaTeX enhancement

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Sep 8 17:13:34 CEST 2004

david.boerschlein at pb.com wrote:

> We are in need of an enhancement to the LaTeX command-line so that it
> will read a list of tex filenames from either STDIN or disk and, for
> each filename in the list, create a DVI file without forking and
> execing each time.

it might be just as easier to get a faster processor so that the execing
would not matter :-}

> We have 80,000 tex files to process for a typical run to create 80,000
> dvi files. Alternately, we could give it the name of a directory and
> expect latex to process all the tex files in the directory

If you have 80,000 tex files. I don't mind betting that they are generated
by something. Rather than trying to change TeX to process multiple files,
you might go back in the process and create one huge file, run TeX on that,
and then split the dvi file into 80,000 small files using  a dvi
manipulator,
or the like.

One is tempted to ask what you'll do with 80,000 dvi files, mind.

Sebastian