[tex-live] Bug in updmap?!

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Fri Oct 29 12:20:24 CEST 2004

"FP" == Fabrice Popineau writes:

 >> So is this *really* necessary?

 FP> yes.

Here's how I see this (somewhat confusing :).

currently updmap on unix supports only syntax like
"--enable Map foo.map"

currently updmap on windows (your ported version) is incompatible with
unix and requires a different syntax:
"--enable Map=foo.map"

Even if Thomas adds new syntax "--enablemap foo.map", he wants to
preserve the current behavior for compatibility.

Then, presumably, you will add such suntax to your ported updmap too,
and we will have 3 variants of syntax instead of 2 as we have now.

Also, unix's updmap will support only 2 of them:
"--enable Map foo.map" and "--enablemap foo.map"
but and windows' updmap will support only 2 of them
"--enable Map=foo.map" and "--enablemap foo.map"

I.e. adding --enablemap option will not make updmap on unix and on
windows completely compatible: they will still be uncompatible, unless
you implement support for "--enable Map foo.map" syntax.

So if they will not be compatible (read: if you will not add support
for "--enable Map foo.map" syntax), then the answer "yes" is unclear.

And if they will be compatible (read: if you will add support for
"--enable Map foo.map" syntax), then why bother with adding
"--enablemap foo.map".

Still, even if you add support for "--enable Map foo.map",
unix's updmap is not going to add support for "--enable Map=foo.map".

Therefore, i think that the BEST solution to this problem is
for you to REPLACE syntax "--enable Map=foo.map" in your ported updmap
with syntax "--enable Map foo.map" (and do not support it at all).
And do not change updmap on unix at all.

That will make updmap compatible on both unix and windows, and will
make the number of different variations on syntax minimal.

Best,
v.