[tex-live] Roundtripping LaTeX to XML

Jonathan Fine J.Fine at open.ac.uk
Fri Oct 29 11:15:28 CEST 2004

There is interest where I work in roundtripping LaTeX to and
from XML.

I'm posting this message to learn about what is already out
there, and to find others who are interested in this.

Our LaTeX documents are quite simple - no verbatim or other
changes of catcodes, or other complicated processing.

I am already aware of TeXML, which is a DTD for encoding
LaTeX documents in XML, and translating such to LaTeX.
    http://getfo.sourceforge.net/texml/
    http://www.tug.org/TUG99-web/pdf/lovell.pdf

A google search for "Latex to MathML and Back" brings up
    Latex to MathML and back: A case study of Elsevier journals
      http://www.tug.org/practicaltex2004/preprints/bazargan.txt
    From LaTeX to MathML and Back with TeX4ht and PassiveTeX
      http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/docs/mml-00/mml-00.html
      http://www.mathmlconference.org/2000/presentations.html
which are also of interest.

Thanks in advance if you can help.

==

The rest of this posting is a statement of requirements.

We have a known set of documents. Let mydoc.tex be one such.

We want filters tex2xml, xml2tex such that
    $ cat mydoc.tex | tex2xml | xml2tex > mydoc2.tex
produces a file mydoc2.tex and now we want mydoc.tex and
mydoc2.tex to produce identical dvi output when typeset
by TeX.

We want some of the output of tex2xml to be useful.

For example
   \section{My Title}\label{myid} ...
might produce
   <section id='myid'>
     <heading>My Title</heading> ...

Some of the output of tex2xml can be CDATA raw TeX or the
like.

Finally, extending tex2xml and xml2tex should be fairly
easy.  To reduce the amount of CDATA raw TeX.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Fine
The Open University, Milton Keynes, England