[tex-live] TL2004: adding a map to pdftex only

Fabrice Popineau fabrice.popineau at supelec.fr
Tue Oct 19 22:41:00 CEST 2004

> Still, this is far from ideal because it requires a format dump to
> work. Whereas with the config system before it was done during a normal
> run. It was even possible to have a pdftex.cfg in a project directory.

This is the real nightmare: you have a pdftex.cfg in your current directory
and you don't understand why your 'default' pdftex behaviour doesn't apply.
And what if you 'lose' the pdftex.cfg, when giving the .tex files to someone
else for example and you forget to add the pdftex.cfg file.

At some point, you will have to give your whole tex distribution to make
sure the document is compiled somewhere else (texmf.cnf, updmap.cfg,
pdftex.cfg, whatelse ? Ah ! The .tex files sure ;-) )

Maybe I'm completely off, but from what I read, I'm convinced that having
the font specification stated in the document itself is a Good Thing (tm),
at least as good as it is to state the encoding used.

Fabrice