[tex-live] bug in the latest TeX Live snapshot.

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 11:19:31 CEST 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Karl Berry wrote:

>     Isn't this advertised behavior? \beginR puts a node on the horizontal
>     list, so the overfull box you get in the example is \parindent.
>
> Ah!  Sorry for my ignorance.  Well, that explains why the simple TeX
> file gets the overfull box, but I don't think it explains Tigran's
> original problem at http://www.bibles.org.uk/bugs, where characters are
> actually missing, eg, printed off the page (at the right-hand side of
> the last line on the first page).  Perhaps it is pdf-specific after all.
> I did ask Tigran for more info and sources, so hopefully ...
>
> Bernd and Peter, sorry to bother.

Hello,

I have also reproduced it with using latex instead of pdflatex and
generating .dvi files instead of .pdf. The same thing happens, i.e. with
old TeX Live it works but with the latest some words are shifted far to
the right and others completely disappear from view (presumably xdvi can't
show that "far" beyond the end of the page).

As for sources, I can provide the sources of course (they are on
http://www.bibles.org.uk/src/tnk.tar.gz) but in order to compile them you
will need Tiqwah fonts and Tiqwah preprocessor, which I am bound by my
honest word to Yannis Haralambous to not give away under any circumstances
(he kindly donated Tiqwah to the tnk project for Hebrew Bible typesetting)

Could the problem be ascertained from sources without Tiqwah? If this is
utterly impossible, but some kind person does volunteer to help, I will
gladly give him/her ssh account on my development box where Tiqwah is
installed in restricted way (i.e. you can't copy it outside) where this
can be easily reproduced and pdf file viewed. Both "old" and "new" TeX
Live are installed there (in /usr/local/TeX-new and /usr/local/TeX
respectively) so one can easily switch between the two environments for
debugging.

I tested exactly the same layout but in Greek and the problem did NOT
happen, so this is probably specific to etex's right-to-left state.

Kind regards
Tigran