[tex-live] unixinst.iso

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Mon Oct 4 20:29:49 CEST 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Karl Berry wrote:

>     I hope "unix inst" will contain windows binaries,
>     because one might want to install multiple binaries on unix machine
>     and share e.g. via samba
>
> I know this has been a possibility in the past, but how many people have
> made use of it?  Do you?  It's really only useful for Unix TeX geeks
> working on Windows, i.e., people who try to make their Windows machines
> look like Unix, because there wouldn't be any support files or GUI or
> Windows install, just the bare binaries.

I *know* several installations (esp. in high school laboratories)
where TeX is served from Unix boxes. The same on TeX conferences
like BachoTeX ;-). It is easy to maintain and only need adding
any better editor on the Windows side.

> It would probably be possible to go the other way -- install the windows
> binaries from the windows disc and then copy/share them onto the Unix side.

Somehow heavy, having only CD-ROM (not uncommon DVD), since you cannot
install from cab.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl