[tex-live] Re: [OS X TeX] Re: Bug, presumably in texlive 2004

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Mon Nov 22 12:15:51 CET 2004

Greetings,

"RM" == Ralph Martin writes:

 >> second, without more specific details (like full minimal test
 >> file, plus the log file), your bug report does not make much
 >> sense.

Thanks for the test file.

I suspect that the following is going on:

1) latex in TeX Live 2004 is based on pdfetex engine

2) your latex.fmt file was not generated properly (i.e. by calling
   "fmtutil --byfmt latex"). As a result, the \pdfoutput macro
   remained defined, because pdftex-dvi.tex was not read when making a
   format file.

3) the egpubl_SM.cls file contains some inportable code like this:

\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined \pdffalse % we are not running PDFLaTeX
\else
  \pdfoutput=1 % we are running PDFLaTeX
  \pdftrue
\fi

   This makes the graphics package think that we're running under
   pdflatex, instead of latex. As a result, you get an error, because
   pdflatex does not understand PS or EPS files.

To solve this problem, please try to re-generate the latex format
prolerly, i.e. by running "fmtutil --byfmt latex".

Best,
v.