[tex-live] redistribution request

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 19 00:45:28 CEST 2004

Hi Ferenc,

    We would like to attach a TeXLive demo CD.

FWIW, in general I recommend using the inst cd, not demo.
demo is not complete, because there is not enough space on a CD.

    I have a question. From the page http://www.tug.org/texlive/bugs.html
    it is not clear for me, how to produce a patched demo CD.

True enough -- the purpose of that page is to tell TL users how to
update their installations, not to produce a new TL.

The answer is, unfortunately, there is no easy way to produce a
"patched" CD.  You can produce your own image by starting with TL 2003
and doing the updates, but there's no cookie-cutter recipe for this.

I understand from Fabrice that a somewhat updated version of TL 2003 was
produced for the LaTeX Companion second edition.  We can probably get
the image for that from Frank, if you want it.  Whether it will work
better than the original TL 2003, I don't know.

    We are very close to finishing a book on LaTeX in Hungarian with the title

On the other hand, depending on what "very close" might mean, there's a
slight chance that TL 2004 would be ready.  Usually the CD production
doesn't have to get started nearly as early as the book production.

Sorry, wish I had better news for you.

karl