[tex-live] updmap update

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Fri May 14 00:25:38 CEST 2004

Regarding the new locations for map files, I have implemented the
following for teTeX (and checked in for TeX Live):

Each map file is searched along the new path (--format=map, usually
$TEXMF/fonts/map//) and the old path (--format='dvips config', usually
$TEXMF/dvips//). The search in the old path is only done to warn the user
that he should do something, e.g. remove a file (if an identical version
is found in the new path) or manually resolve a conflict (old/new with
different content) or move a file (file only found in old).

The messages are like this:
    mapWarn notFound pazo.map
    mapWarn badLocation /software/oss/Text/teTeX-3.0/share/texmf-dist/dvips/pxfonts.map
    mapWarn manualResolve /software/oss/Text/teTeX-3.0/share/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/lm/ts1-lm.map /software/oss/Text/teTeX-3.0/share/texmf-dist/dvips/ts1-lm.map
    mapWarn obsoleteCopy /software/oss/Text/teTeX-3.0/share/texmf-dist/dvips/txfonts.map

    updmap: Severe problems during map file lookup. Consult the manualpage for details.

Well, the part that describes this in the manpage still has to be written,
but this will be done... :-)

The next thing to be written is a command (a special invocation of updmap,
I think) that helps the user to move his files and to clean the tree
from obsolete (identical) copies.

Even though the extra searches cost some time, I don't think that I want
to implement an option to turn this off. There are too many "ready to
install" font packages or tools or instructions that can cause map files
to be installed in the wrong place.

Thomas