[tex-live] TL2004: Technical problems and testing

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu May 13 16:15:49 CEST 2004

At 15:32 13/05/2004, Karl Berry wrote:
>     can you fill in the next table? *=mapped ^^=escaped
>
>Sorry, too terse, I can't make sense of "natural.tcx" or
>"operating_system", and the chart was misformatted in my Emacs.

operating system is that what the os does with output if it does something
at all (the locale stuff); terminal is that what tex sends to the os
display engine

natural.tcx is the real 8 bit tcx file (not the incorrect cp8bit which is
incomplete)

>Only the behavior of log files (which wasn't in your list) and terminal
>output is under discussion.  (I don't know the behavior for the other
>things you list.)

sure, but esp writes are influenced by the tcx machinery

>I'll repeat.

i have no strong opinions on what goes to the terminal; the log -if
possible- should honor 8 bit (imo)

Hans