[tex-live] short-term goals

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Tue May 11 16:45:54 CEST 2004

Sebastian Rahtz writes:

> Whatever else we may end up doing, can we agree on a short-term goal
> of getting a testable system based on the current web2c 7.5.3 source
> tree from Olaf, and an uptodate texmf tree?

Yes.  As I've noted before, it's unlikely I'll be able to do much for
about two weeks (or one-and-a-half by now).  But please try to get as
much experience with the current sources as we can in the period, and
I can use the feedback later.

> Could the binary compilers roll up their sleeves and generate new
> sets of binaries, and I'll attempt to resurrect a texmf tree and an
> installer?

> forget aboutr backward compatibility and all that for the moment;
> lets get the thing working in its intended new way; then sit back
> and take stock of where we are. At that point we can decide on
> whether to appoint a new leader, how to manage future change, what
> the timetable should be, how to test, etc etc. But until TeX Live is
> actually *working*, I for one cannot decide anything.

Exactly.  As far as I'm concerned we should

- First get things to work at all.
- Peferably according to the new way.
- Then take stock what it would take to do things like
  - automatic conversion (or even just detection) of the old way
  - implement some backward compatibility

So lets gird our loins and go forth.  We can always resume the
fighting later.  ;-)

--
Olaf Weber