[tex-live] lambda, omega, latex.ini

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 10 16:27:10 CEST 2004

    As for texmf-dist/tex/latex/config/latex.ini, can I change it on p4 depot
    following Thomas' suggestion:
     \input pdftexconfig\pdfoutput=0
     \scrollmode
     \input latex.ini

    or should we leave it at it was? Just to avoid any hot discussion...

Avoid?  Surely you jest :).

As we've discussed at length, I don't think either of the above (leave
it alone or just use pdftex "bare") is right.  I think we should play
the preserve-and-undefine-primitives trick.  I don't see any serious
downside, it's just ugly -- but compatible.  Next year we can be
incompatible.  teTeX can be incompatible this year.

Specifically, I think latex.ini (and others) should say \input
pdftex-dvi.tex, where pdftex-dvi.tex is the following.

Have we reached consensus on this?

karl

% pdftex-dvi.tex
% <blah blah blah, public domain, blah blah blah>

\let\normalpdfhorigin\pdfannot
\let\pdfannnot\undefined

\let\normalpdfhorigin\pdfhorigin
\let\pdfhorigin\undefined

\let\normalpdfinfo\pdfinfo
\let\pdfinfo\undefined

\let\normalpdfliteral\pdfliteral
\let\pdfliteral\undefined

\let\normalpdfmapfile\pdfmapfile
\let\pdfmapfile\undefined

\let\normalpdfoutput\pdfoutput
\let\pdfoutput\undefined

\let\normalpdfpageheight\pdfpageheight
\let\pdfpageheight\undefined

\let\normalpdfpagewidth\pdfpagewidth
\let\pdfpagewidth\undefined

\let\normalpdftexversion\pdftexversion
\let\pdftexversion\undefined

\let\normalpdfvorigin\pdfvorigin
\let\pdfvorigin\undefined

\let\normalpdftexrevision\pdftexrevision
\let\pdftexrevision\undefined

\let\normalpdfxform\pdfxform
\let\pdfxform\undefined

\let\normalpdfximage\pdfximage
\let\pdfximage\undefined

% these public primitives remain usable in dvi mode:
% \pdfadjustspacing
% \pdfavoidoverfull
% \pdffontattr
% \pdffontexpand