[tex-live] $texmf/web2c/$engine/format.fmt

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon May 10 15:20:51 CEST 2004

> implications on fmtutil. Previously, you could generate tex.fmt and tex.efmt
> in the same temp directory, then move them to their final destination. Now,

fmtutil has not supported more than one format for a given name in the
past, too. You could only have tex or etex as engine for the "tex" format,
not two. And, even without fmtutil, one could not have an etex based latex
in addition to a pdfetex based one, too (was the same name: latex.efmt).

Yesterday, I have thought about it and I have decided to make a simple
change now (just always use .fmt instead of .afmt, .efmt etc.).  Can we
live with that for now?

Thomas