[tex-live] TL2004: Technical problems and testing

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri May 7 16:22:14 CEST 2004

At 15:54 07/05/2004, Karl Berry wrote:

>That way, when people complain, we can say "hey, we told you, you had a
>chance".  If we just break them without warning, then all we can say is,
>"yes, we broke compatibility, and we knew it, sorry, you lose".  Not good.

indeed; btw, the next MAPS will have an article on the coming changes, so
we expect NTG uses to know beforehand what will happen; also that year will
give the NTG users some time to adapt

>Regarding the possibility of making a tool to automatically convert
>trees: by all means, let's detect the old files, let's report the old
>files, let's give users an easy way to change to the new setup -- but I
>don't think we should change the files out from under them.  That could
>break their *old* installation and leave them with nothing working.  It
>doesn't seem safe.

makes me think: could kpse be extended with something:

OBSOLETEPATHS=......

which would trigger a message if one of those paths is accessed?

Hans