[tex-live] TL2004: Technical problems and testing

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri May 7 14:47:14 CEST 2004

> So, what we need is some kind of mechanism where 'important changes
> that can break your system' are announced, in such a way that they
> are not burried in discussions.

I fully agree.  What about starting a ChangeLog file?  All
participants who can contribute to the TeXLive tree have to document
the changes *as detailed as possible*, without exception (well,
trivial changes like adding trailing whitespace or fixing some typos
are usually not worth to be mentioned).  This means discipine -- in
many cases preparing a ChangeLog entry is more work than the change
itself, but it is really worth the time.

The output which I can see using `p4 changes -l' is far too sloppy.
Have a look at, say, the ChangeLog file(s) of Emacs to see what I
mean.

Until now I haven't seen a better alternative.

    Werner