[tex-live] TL2004: Technical problems and testing

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Fri May 7 06:39:57 CEST 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Thomas Esser wrote:

> >   Proposed solution: Add the old locations of the files to
> >   texmf.cnf and if needed change kpathsea so that the old
> >   locations are also searched.
>
> Everybody is welcome to read the list archives to see the reasons why
> I don't agree. I'll happily (well, not really) see a revival of this
> discussion if *new* arguments come in...
>
> One thing that I can add here is that updmap (which users are supposed to
> use to "register" their map files) will get lots of new checks regarding
> map file locations (making separate searches in old place and new place).
> The program will also output clear warnings. Very very few people have
> their own enc files in local texmf trees, so a changed location for enc
> files should not be a problem hitting many people.
>
> teTeX-3.0 (to be release *this* year) will not search the old locations,
> so one argument to add is compatibility between teTeX and TeX Live.

Well, in principle I agree with Thomas, however after many discussions
with users I'd like to find any solution which can satisfy most of them.
The main arguments are:
1. even installing teTeX-3.0 or TL2004 the users
   can have/use some other texmf tree searched (e.g. teTeX3 with TL2003
   from CD, etc., etc.)
2. the users (or existing installation script) still could install map/enc
   files into an old location (texmf/dvips/).

So the proposed solution for this year TL's texmf.cnf is:

< TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map//
> TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,dvips}//

% this is OK:
TEXPSHEADERS =	.;$TEXMF/{fonts/{enc,type1},dvips}//

< ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/enc//
> ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/enc,dvips}//

Anyway, the _working/global_ map files for dvips/pdftex/dvipdfm are
maintaned by updmap and stored in $TEXMF/fonts/map/updmap/ . As I know (or
can be wrong) only dvips can load the specific .map file from the command
line (via -P config.XXX), so the above changes will work well for a font
map/enc files installed in the old (dvips/) location and even they are not
included to the global map file(s). I've just checked that.

> >   Proposed solution: Keep support for pdftex.cfg, but declare it
> >   as deprecated and support only the mapfile entries. All other
> >   entries are ignore (with a warning).
>
> That will give an annoying message to thousands of users. Next point:
> how to handle the situation that map files can be set up in two places
> (pdftexconfig.tex and pdftex.cfg)? Which overwrites what? Which has
> precedence? How will users be suprised if they just know one of the two?

Martin, I think that we've missanderstood that point in Bachotek.
If we upgrade to the new pdf(e)tex, we don't need pdftex.cfg anymore.

> teTeX-3.0 will just go that way: pdfetex will be the default engine (with
> all primitives enabled). TeX Live may well follow now, later or never...
> It would be easier for me if the setups could be the same.

More discussion is still needed... Both Thomas and me still keep our
positions ;-))

> > - 8-bit-troubles (tcx): These have caused severe problems in the
> >   past, but are supposed to be solved.
>
> We should help Olaf to find the right solution. The last statement from
> him to me was that the automatic loading of cp8bit.tcx does not work
> any more (due to encTeX) and that he rather desperately need feedback
> on what to do instead.

Any loading by default any cp8bit.tcx (or more transparent 8bit.tcx)
was no good idea. Hopefully tex at all doesn't load it now. The same
in regard of any experiments with locales...

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl