[tex-live] Re: context / directory structure

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Thu May 6 19:57:40 CEST 2004

> >If the map files don't use specific pdftex related features, they should go
> >to $fontroot/fonts/map/dvips/<package>.
>
> hm, so then the tds documentation should contain a table which specifies
> the differences between the three engines (i must admit that i never looked
> into what dvips really needs as a minimum)

The document does not define file formats in that detail.

> with me but then should be made official and described in a separate
> document, or an appendix to the tds document. (psmap would then be a better
> name)

It will be official as soon as the new tds document is released to
the public.

> % generic map file, suitable for dvips and pdftex

That's not a bad idea.

> ok, so 'no font name' means pdftex; i can build that into texfont, sure

Right.

> >Just forget about subpath. There is just texmf/fonts/map//.
>
> so in a way we're lucky that 'dvips' precedes 'pdftex' in sorting but i'm

Forget about directory sorting. Files within texmf/fonts/map have to
have unique names. That's what tds requires.

> trouble. So maybe a subpath {,dvips,pdftex,dvipdfmx} makes sense after all.

No, not in my opinion.

Thomas