[tex-live] Another restructuring issue

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Mar 13 00:47:00 CET 2004

We should (IMO) make a clear distinction between what is dependent on
architecture of the underlying computer/OS and what is not. In case of
the programs, this is already being done by subdirectories in bin, but
while we do it properly for programs, we do not do it for lib (where
kpathsea.a resides, which is also architecture-dependant).

Personally, if I were to set this up anew, it would be along the lines
of

	.../TeX/share/texmf-*
	.../TeX/share/include
	etc. And
	.../TeX/arch/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/bin
	.../TeX/arch/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/lib
	.../TeX/arch/i386-whatever-linux/bin
	.../TeX/arch/i386-whatever-linux/lib
	etc.

Such a setup would make the directories sharable accross different
systems

Secondly, for me at least, it is essential that texmf stuff produced
from TeX Live Build is separate from stuff that is part of Master.