[tex-live] libXaw.so.6 vs. .7

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Mar 8 18:13:25 CET 2004

    I conclude that GNU/Linux releases that lack libXaw.so.7 must be older
    than Red Hat 7

Actually, it's a Debian system (so there's no meaningful version
numbers, it has 2.4.20 for a kernel, and the X stuff seems to date from
Feb 03), and as far as I know is aggressively maintained by the staff at
FSU.  I don't know why it has such an old Xaw.  That is strange.

Anyway, given your research, I agree it's pointless to try to use .6.
Mimi, you'll just have to get pamd updated.  Sorry, I tried.

As for linking statically in general, yes, binary bloat would be a
problem (the dist has already grown too big for the next release), but
also I fear incompatibilities, especially between libc and the kernel,
since there's such a strong relationship between them in Linux.  We
could probably statically link the others without much fear.  Hmm.

Thanks,