[tex-live] xdvi problems on IRIX

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Jun 23 20:03:44 CEST 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Stefan Ulrich wrote:

> George N White <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca> writes:
>
>>> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>>> Major opcode of failed request:  62 (X_CopyArea)
>>> Serial number of failed request:  1213
>>> Current serial number in output stream:  1343
>>>

>>> Any ideas?
>
>> You may be mixing Motif versions.
>
> This error resulted from the different color depths of the root
> window and the xdvi window, as indicated by Olaf; I'm currently
> working on a patch.
>
>> I got xdvi-motif.bin to run (it seems to display files OK, but dumps
>> core if I choose "cancel" without selecting a file, so is a bit
>> fragile)
>
> Olaf got this one too - do you have `nm' on IRIX? If so, what's
> the output of
> $ nm xdvi-motif.bin | grep XtAppAddTimeOut
> ?
$ nm xdvi-motif.bin | grep XtAppAddTimeOut | tr -d '[:space:]'
[805]|268717360|380|FUNC|GLOB|DEFAULT|MIPS_TEXT|XtAppAddTimeOut

> This bug may have been fixed in 22.84; tetex-beta/TeXLive is
> still at 22.82, we'll need to think about how/when to update
> it when the visual bug is fixed.

Why should you be different? So many apps have the "visula bug" that just
last week I finally gave up fighting it and set my root window to a
truecolor visual.  Xdvi-motif worked before I made the change, but many
other apps that use low-level Xt calls did not.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
   Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada