[tex-live] Re: install for compressed CD

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Mon Jun 21 04:52:28 CEST 2004

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> I have to stop now for the day, but I have taken the Unix installer for
> the compressed CD far enough forward to do some more serious bug-fixing.
> It runs to completion, but some things in the end set up are not right
> yet.

OK. I tried with another tl-compressed made after #5137
and installed using default settings (recommended scheme).
Some notes what has failed
1.in texmf-var/:
a. building global map files
b. language.dat
c. fmtutil.cnf
d. config.ps (not copied to texmf-var/)

2. in texmf/
a. in doc/ we have man/man3/zlib only?
b. web2c/texmf.cnf 0 bytes

every subdirectory in texmf-local/ has redundant local/ subdirectory
(I think that texmf-local is enough local ;-)

It is somehow strange that on linux I have xemtex/man/ installed,
containing cjpeg etc., libpng and png manuals.
man pages in so many directories seems to me hardly usable on linux/unix,
I cannot expect the users want to adapt their MANPATH to every directory.

[As for me I would prefer merging the installed stuff into one texmf/
but I'm scared to start any new discussion. It is so difficult to check
the completness, what goes where, etc...]

When making tl-compressed we don't need texmf-var/ on the CD. Moreover
texmf-doc/ should contain not only texlive-en but also other
translations. The cd has also empty tpm/ directory (?) but lists/
are gathered only in texmf/

I can expect one more problem: the current texconfig makes working
copies of configuration files and language.dat in texmf-local/ (not in
texmf-var/ !),
texmf-var/web2c/ contains *only* format files and another copy
of updmap.cfg (!). Having working installation (not that the above one)
I've just failed to run updmap...
As stated in many places, texmf-var/ *is* dedicated for working
configuration files and format files generated by the user.
I investigated many people and they tend (like me) to keep all such stuff
(config files and formats) in texmf-var/, leaving texmf-local/ for
user's macros&fonts. Now we have some mess in that (e.g. Win32
still uses texmf-var/ for cnf&fmt). I'd be really happy if we could
keep compatibility between different platforms...
Thomas, we discussed that problem, perhaps it is good time to reconsider
that on TL forum?

Thanks,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz