[tex-live] xemacs

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Jun 12 01:03:27 CEST 2004

Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> writes:

> Karl Berry :
>
> > XEmacs for Windows is part of the TeX Live distribution, and is in
> > fact a basic part of it.  It should simply be a package to
> > install.
> >
> > You may also want to get the latest from fptex.org.
> >
> > There's also the possibility of getting the original xemacs
> > distribution itself from xemacs.org.
> >

> Just woundering, why was NTEmacs abandoned in TL 2003? None of my
> users are using Xemacs, in fact I think I only know one XEmacs
> user. A lot of my users rely on the fact that the Emacs
> version/flavor they use one their windows systems behave and look
> exactly like the one they use on our Linux system. (well
> preview-latex doesn work yet... on windows)

It works, but only with developer versions of Emacs.  And the same
goes for the toolbar.  Now if you stipulate that working versions of
the toolbar and preview-latex might be important to Windows users,
then you are caught in the dilemma of picking an underfeatured and
somewhat outdated version of Emacs, or a judiciously selected
developer snapshot of Emacs, or both.  You would need a competent
Emacs/TeX/Windows user to make sure to get a reasonably working and
well-configured pick.  And Fabrice uses XEmacs.

I don't think that a full-fledged Emacs release will happen in time
before TL2004.  But I'll be quite cross if TL2005 comes without Emacs.

> I usualy just let them borrow a copy of TL 7 just to get the NTEmacs
> (because it alrady has Auc TeX installed)

You might want to take a look at the NTEmacs developer snapshots that
somebody does every few months or so.