[tex-live] more testing

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jun 10 09:13:00 CEST 2004

Hi,

since 8 bit is not on (yet) by default, i'm playing with the -8bit flag;
the problem is that i cannot add it to configuration files without
breaking existing setups (old binaries quit on an unknown flag); so, i
wonder if it is possible (for the sake of future extensions, as well as
for the sake of disappearing flags (oem and such) to let the binaries
ignore unknown flags (a warning at most); now we have the problem that
newer trees (e.g containing a newer texexec or other tex calling
program) will no longer work with an old set of binaries.

(also, is there a well defined return code scheme, so that one can see
why a program quits? like, 1 = error, 2 = missing format/mem/base, 3 =
mismatching kpse, etc)

btw:

- how do older engines react on $engine?
- and is $engine defined in the tds standard ... (in the past some
pdftex was used next to pdfetex as well as for both engines, e.g for map
files)
- don't we need some kind of 'registration' system for that: tex etex
pdftex pdfetex pdfetex-pl (what is the convention for such language
things?) omega aleph xetex pdfxtex (the 'known' ones)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE