[tex-live] volunteer to implement lcab compression?

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 8 21:30:12 CEST 2004

Thomas Esser writes:

>> We (Sebastian and I) have not found any other programs to write .cab
>> files under Unix (many programs support reading .cab's).  There is a

> Is the file format good enough to preserve file attributes such as
> UNIX permissions?

See my other mail as well.

No, the file format isn't good enough for that.  However, for our
purposes, when distribution stuff that goes into a texmf tree, we do
not care about ownership (we can install as the current user) and do
not care about permissions either, with the singular exception of
exectuables.

It seems to me we can simply 'chmod +x' everything in texmf*/scripts.
The problematic cases are non-windows executables that are (i)
distributed in CAB files, and (ii) in odd locations.

It seems to me we'd be using 'tar.gz' or 'zip' for the unix binaries,
which ought to leave only the scripts in texmf/web2c as odd ones out.
Correct?

> Is the file format smart enough to handle text files properly
> (i.e. convert line ends on extraction)?

Nope.

> Should I better not ask this? :-)

IMHO these questions should be asked.