[tex-live] Updating packages over the internet a la MiKTeX

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jun 7 18:07:37 CEST 2004

Karl Berry wrote:

>There's also rsync://tug.org/texlive2003-Contents and -Images for the
>last release, among a couple other things.  rsync tug.org:: will get the list.
>
>Thanks to Kaja for getting the firewall opened.
>
>(Hans, I hope this will suit your needs.)

This works quite well (on a 4096 mbit connection) using compression and
checksum testing:

Number of files: 54260
Number of files transferred: 49532
Total file size: 1045634451 bytes
Total transferred file size: 1045631218 bytes
Literal data: 1045631218 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 1745134
Total bytes written: 792608
Total bytes read: 574648912

wrote 792608 bytes  read 574648912 bytes  273693.95 bytes/sec
total size is 1045634451  speedup is 1.82

It gives me a comfortable feeling to be able to sync this way.

A few remarks:

(1) i miss the tree: texmf-extra

(2) when watching the file list fly by i saw that there are still gzipped afm files

(3) since the whole latex documentation seems to be there, if needed i can provide a complete set of context documentation -)

(4) quite some big fonts/../cb|cm-super files: it's that i know tex otherwise i would be puzzled if all of those sizes make sense

Hans (entering test mode now)