[tex-live] free software, DFSG

Stepan Kasal kasal at ucw.cz
Fri Jun 4 15:12:16 CEST 2004

Hello,

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:48:33AM -0400, Karl Berry wrote:
>     But according to my information the macros from plain.tex are not
>     "free software" (as defined by FSF),
>
> That's incorrect.  The "Knuth license" where something must be renamed
> before it can be modified, is free software according to the FSF.  (Not

>     I understand that stating that TeXlive is free software is a nice
>     advertising clause, but it's not true.
>
> Yes it is, to the best of our knowledge.  Please don't state opinions as
> facts.

I apologize for my statements.  Thank you, Karl, for educating me.

Petr was a bit disappointed, wrote a message and there was a kind of
feeling here in Czech Republic that it's a shame that Olsak's work won't
be on CTAN and TeXlive.

I didn't want just to mourn that "they" discriminate Petr, so I tried to
do something about it.  As you observe, my way of "doing something" was
perhaps useful, but surely far from ideal.

Have a nice day,
	Stepan