[tex-live] Re: Re: Please enable ipc in tex

Hans Hagen Outside pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jul 20 22:48:59 CEST 2004

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This keeps cropping up. I do not think that it can be done without a major
>effort.
>
>When Adobe says "linearized" or "optimized" in reference to PDF documents,
>then for the producing program of a PDF document this works as follows:
>
>- process the entire document as normal, until reaching the end of typesetting,
>  where you have all of the needed information for the optimization step.
>
>- now go back to the beginning to create the /Linearization dictionary
>  and the first cross-ref table using that gathered information.
>
>- write final output file.
>
>As a result, creating linearized PDF is a slow process. In fact quite a bit
>slower than if you wouldn't have bothered in the first place. Therefore,
>this is unusable, and as a result, so is previewing in the Reader.
>
>Your only option is to create a new previewer (or modify xpdf/gs to allow
>incremental file reads). That would be a mayor amount of work, but nearly
>all of it outside of pdftex.

incremental would mean something:

flush page
flush fonts and images
add xref section

and for the next page overwrite the fonts/images and xref section which probably ends up in an inefficient process.

An option could be to use the new embedded pdf stream feature and make each page an independent document, but that will interfere with resource management; so ... i don't see it happen

Hans

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE