[tex-live] fwd: \delta in overfull \hboxes screws up xterm

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 14 18:47:18 CEST 2004

Hans Hagen writes:

> (i wonder why tex cannot behave like other systems, i never have to
> worry about such issues when using perl or ruby)

The problem is an artifact of the way TeX encodes its data internally,
in particular that it uses the space allocated to ASCII control
characters for "printable" matter.  No other language implementation
that I'm aware of does this.  But if there were such characters in the
input of a ruby/perl/whatever program, you might well see them in the
output as well.

(And I believe I'm entitled to a small "I told you so" as I did try to
point this out during previous rounds of this discussion.)

--
Olaf Weber