[tex-live] fwd: \delta in overfull \hboxes screws up xterm

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jul 14 17:32:15 CEST 2004

            \showhyphens{$\delta$}

How about if we make the default (in fmtutil.cnf) be what it was for
2003: only codes 32 and higher are printable on terminal by default
("7.5-bit" :).  Do any *languages* need codes <32 printable?  I don't
think so.

Auc-tex and any other applications which need codes <32 printable can
accomplish that with an environment (config) variable setting, among (I
would guess) other ways.

I admit I do not know the exact incantations to accomplish this, but I
believe there is sufficient flexibility in the mechanisms to allow it.
I sincerely hope so, anyway.

Having the default be something which can mess up many users' terminals
does not seem right to me.