[tex-live] Documentation missing for many packages

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 17:09:30 CET 2004

Harald Harders wrote:

> For many packages, the documentation is not installed (in the
> directory $TEXMF/doc/latex) although I have selected to install
> documentation.

> numprint:
>   installed: README numprinttest.dvi numprinttest.tex
>   missing:   numprint.pdf

I am not entirely surprised. I am continually culling
files to fit on the CD... I'll try to do better next time

> For some packages, the documentation is installed as requested.

You have to bear in mind that packages from CTAN are run through
a "sausage machine" to make TL packages. I do not (cannot) read
the documentation, Makefiles etc, so sometimes I don't do what the
author intended.

> Is there a possibility to fix that problem without waiting for the next
> release of TeXLive? Is there an easy and quick way to install the missing
> documentation files for all installed packages?

no. because there is no formal record of what documentation should be
available for a package. it only exists in ad hoc formats or buried in
README files.
--
Sebastian Rahtz      Information Manager
Oxford University Computing Services