[tex-live] Re: [tex-k] TeX finding filenames with spaces

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Jan 13 17:01:24 CET 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Karl Berry wrote:

>     > an pdfetex-only texlive sounds ok to me
>
>     To me too !

And me!

> Fabrice, Hans, Sebastian -- I hope you are not serious.  Although you
> personally may never use anything but PDF, please consider the TeX user
> constituency, and keep TL useful to everyone.  We must continue to
> include DVI support.

pdf[e]tex already has dvi support.  The bigger issue to me is that
pdftex is linked to additional libraries (zlib, libpng, etc. needed
to support images) and in the past has broken when these libraries
were changed (e.g., to fix bugs affecting security).  I hope a
pdfetex-only texlive won't become the starting point for adding
all of photoshop's capabilities to pdfetex (but I would support
efforts to add support for tagged-pdf).

> Just as one small example, in every TUGboat issue there are a few
> articles which do not run with pdftex for whatever reason.

In pdf mode -- if there are problems using dvi mode we need to address
them.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada