[tex-live] Re: [tex-k] TeX finding filenames with spaces

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Jan 12 17:47:14 CET 2004

On Jan 12, 2004, at 17:30, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>> As far as the test goes, only when it actually tests for space in a
>> file name and barfs, it will fail. license, no comment, but somehow
>> such complete rigidity does not appeal to my senses.
>
> lets remember that LaTeX is already predicated on e-TeX,
> which we *can* change. AAARGH no we can't, as e-TeX has that
> ridiculous Knuth-like license. Or are you happy to work around that,
> Olaf? If so, why not apply Fabrice's fix to e-TeX only?
>
>> The computing world has changed since 1978 and if you force yourself
>> to stay at that point in all ways, you actually actively are helping
>> TeX in its grave.
>
> thats the Knuth way.....

Then I would investigate talking seriously with Knuth about this..
Maybe Knuth would be willing to secede control to a foundation with a
charter that protects TeX while giving it possibilities to adapt to
necessary changes in the computing world.

Or else going on without Knuth (if at all possible, license wise)