[tex-live] map, enc and bugs.html

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Thu Feb 5 20:22:46 CET 2004

> 2) It seems painful to change the paths out from under the locals
>    without any warning.  We can't expect random sysadmins to read or
>    care about the TDS.

If we make the paths compatible, they are more complicated. So,
we have the choice between an incompatible break to a clean and easy
thing (i.e. only search "new") and another incompatible thing which is
complicated to debug (search "new" and "old").

Really, even if we try to search "old" and "new" locations, we
cannot guarantee that the same files are found than before the
change.

Consider this: someone with a TL 7 installation upgrades to TL 2004. He
reuses his texmf-var tree where he has a psfonts.map file in old. We
have to search "new" before "old", otherwise a new psfonts.map generated
by updmap will not be found.  On the other hand, the user might expect
his modified lucida.map file in his local texmf tree to be found before
the version that TL 2004 distributes in the main tree, but this is no
longer true (because the distributed file exists in new which has higher
precedence than his file in old; even though it resides in a texmf tree
with higher priority).

>    Can we give them a year, that is, we make the 04 release with both
>    the old and new paths, and in the documentation say "hey, next year
>    there's only going to be new paths, so change your local files now"?
>    That way at least there is a chance for a smooth changeover.

No, just one more year of confusion.

Thomas