[tex-live] map, enc and bugs.html

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Wed Feb 4 19:52:33 CET 2004

> But looking at my TL 2003 texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, there is:
> TEXPSHEADERS = .;$TEXMF/{{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}},pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//
>
> So why doesn't that find the files in local trees?  Assuming $TEXMF
> includes the local trees, as it should.

I can imagine that the file in the local tree exists in a "lower
precedence" location than in some other tree. Or, in other words:
it works "as designed"...

E.g. if we have
  TEXMF={/local,/main}
and the files
  /local/pdftex/foo.map
  /main/dvips/foo.map
then the *second* and not the first file is found.

I think this is another good example why search paths should be *simple*.

Thomas