[tex-live] Re: [tex-fonts] license of the Bakoma Type1 fonts?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Dec 18 02:09:25 CET 2004

    Well, if you are satisfied with the result, ignore my comment!

It's not a matter of satisfaction; as you've just pointed out, there's
no free alternative.  We'll have to remove the bakoma fonts in the next
release.

In my discussion with Thomas, he reported that Basil actually
recommended scaling the AMS fonts instead of using bakoma (we didn't
realize the license issue at the time).

Looking at your bug report (thanks for the url, I have no idea why my
search didn't work), it seems there was never any resolution.  And since
Michael Downes has sadly passed away in the interim, I rather suspect
this issue is no longer in anyone's mind to follow up on.  I don't know
how to get the AMS's attention again.

As far as cmex789 go, it seems TL is now using versions generated with
TeXtrace (fmex789).  I rather suspect that MicroPress's versions would
be superior.  I could ask Michael Vulis if he'd be willing to make them
freely available.

Thanks,
karl