[tex-live] running programs from texlive tlc2

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Dec 8 16:57:40 CET 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Just Kaziri wrote:

> I bought the latex companion 2nd ed I can run most the programs they
> give with the cd except:

> 1. I can't include eps image but jpg are ok

It is hard to help without more detail. Are you certain your "eps" files
are what they claim?  Bad "eps" is a common source of problems.  One of
the big advantages of working with pdftex is that shoddy (e?)ps files can
still produce useful pdf images.

> 2. examples on chapter 12 show this kind of error: PACKAGE NATBIB
>    WARNING: CITATION "LGC97" ON PAGE 6 UNDEFINED ON INPUT LINE 31. I can
>    write the bib file manually, use harvard of chicago style, i never
>    get the bibliography!
>
> p.s. I am running the program on an athlon 2600 with windows xp pro but
> I don't thing this is a problem.

How do you define "problem"?  I know several heavy TeX users running the
same software under WinXP without problems, but a) Win32 is full of traps
for unwary users, and b) few TeX maintainers use Win32, so TeX may not do
everything possible to accomodate the Win32 environment.

Watch for things like double extensions, non-ascii glyphs, and spaces in
filenames.  Because Windows can be configured to hide extensions it is a
common mistake to create file.bib.txt or file.bib.bib when you wanted
file.bib.  TeX was created in an era where filenames did not contain
"special" characters or spaces.  People have been working to support file
and directory names found on Win32, but it is all to easy to miss
something, particularly if you are used to working on systems with more
restrictive conventions.

If this is your difficulty, you have the option of fixing the
bus/features of TeX or learning to work with them.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>