[tex-live] how to embed mp3 into pdf using pdfTeX?

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 12:58:58 CET 2004

Hello,

Is it possible to embed mp3 files (and make them playable from within
Acrobat Reader) into a pdf file?

My guess is that I can use attachfile.sty (appropriately fixed by Vladimir
Volovich and myself to handle mimetype correctly. I fixed attachfile.sty
to store /Subtype as a name and not string and Vladimir provided a way to
store #-encoded "/" character in the mimetype value) and just use file
attachment annotation with the proper /Subtype. Then Acrobat Reader
(maybe) will invoke external mp3 player when you click on it.

But what I am seeking is to use the Sound annotation and make Acrobat play
mp3 files internally, without the need for external mp3 player. Is this
possible? I.e. does Acrobat Reader contain a built-in mp3 player?

Kind regards
Tigran

PS. I cc'd tex-live because my emails to pdftex at tug.org seem to vanish
into a black hole. So if you see this message on pdftex then you can
safely remove tex-live from cc.