[tex-live] man and texinfo

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Aug 31 17:57:06 CEST 2004

    As for bzip2 and gzip I'd left it for win32 users, OK?

Ok with me, but Fabrice told me few win32 users care about .info files
or even know what they are.

    web2c, kpathsea and texinfo in one-part .info file, why making a build
    still generates multipart files with _diffent_ names.

(dvips, too.)  For web2c and kpathsea, maybe because we haven't asked
Olaf to change it :).  For dvips, I guess I can change it.

For Texinfo and texi2html, split info files should be the default in the
distribution.  It is a peculiarity of TeX Live that it is better for us
to have the non-split files.  For people installing those packages on
their own, they would not expect it.

    As I see, during a build web2c.info* files are just copied from the
    sources; kpathsea.info and texinfo, texinfo-1, texinfo-2, texinfo-3
    are generated.  I'd like only to find any order.

Sorry, I do not understand what you're saying.

What I'm saying is, right now, to get the job done, ignore the info
files created during the build, and run makeinfo by hand:

makeinfo --no-split kpathsea.texi
makeinfo --no-split --html kpathsea.texi
pdflatex kpathsea.texi

And copy/install the resulting .info, .html, and .pdf files by hand.  No
changes to the TPM lists should be needed, because this is exactly how I
did it last time.

Since the build has never generated HTML or PDF (and doing that would
mean a bit of Makefile hacking), it's not much more work to generate the
info by hand too.

(But, like I said, I don't believe the kpathsea or texinfo or dvips
Texinfo sources have changed.  Only web2c.)

    > texi2html needs to be installed, that's a recent addition.

    Which one, multipart generated when making a build? Or -no-split one?

--no-split.  As above.  Ignore the one made by the build.

Thanks,
karl