[tex-live] The fonts/{map,enc} location problem (updmap)

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon Sep 29 21:20:25 CEST 2003

>     TEXPSHEADERS            =
>     .;$TEXMF/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips},pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//
>
> It seems sensible to me, but I guess that Thomas and Olaf are the ones
> with the final say.

I don't mind changing the paths like this for now.

> BTW, those paths seem incredibly complex.  I cannot mentally compute the
> expansions.  Triple braces, double dvips's ... it's too bad.  It seems
> we've constructed a whole lot of complication for ourselves.  Sigh.

The whole reason for putting enc / map files to their proper place
was to make things simpler. And, indeed, as soon as kpathsea starts
to support a few new formats and as soon as we have ported our
applications to these new formats, we can simplify the search paths
again.

TEXPSHEADERS is a good example. As soon as we have fixed all applications
to use the T1FONTS path for type1 fonts, we can remove fonts/type1 from
that search path.  pdftex// and tex// are used to find some map files
(e.g. contex's). As soon as these map files are in fonts/map, these path
elements can be removed, too.

In the end, TEXPSHEADERS should just be
  TEXPSHEADERS = .;$TEXMF/dvips//

It would have been helpful, if we had support for the new search paths
in kpathsea right now. That would have given everyone a good basis for
adjustments of drivers. Unfortunately, Olaf did not have the time to
check in these changes in time.

Thomas