[tex-live] last minute

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Sep 23 06:45:59 CEST 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Kaja P. Christiansen wrote:

> Some technical notes: - the only format generated on the fly was
> tex.fmt, I think. I didn't expect to have to run fmtutil by hand.

It is not the case for "inst" which in turn generates all formats.
(for "full" scheme it is 55MB! I hate that). I told Sebastian many
times that, but...
Anyway, you do not need to use fmtutil, just run latex foo and
format should be made on the fly (or any format available in fmtutil.cnf).

> - install creates 10 'local' subdirectories in texmf-var. Unnecessary,
> but it doesn't hurt anything.

We know that's texmf-local, as you wrote later. Windows installer provides
the way to reject that on demand if not needed. For  install-tl.sh
I don't know how I can do that using <D> <2> options. Some people
persuaded that making a skeleton for users' local files would be handy.
(I keep my local files in texmf-var because it is more flexible,
Thomas knows what I'm talking about ;-)

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl