[tex-live] Technical showstoppers for TL2003

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Sep 14 01:04:03 CEST 2003

At 23:37 13/09/2003 +0400, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

>in my opinion, macro packages should write to files in encoding
>independent form (e.g. like the LaTeX does) - that's really portable.

say that (in context) one says:

   \startbuffer
   abcd\eacute <8bitchar representing \eacute> ^^ef
   \stopbuffer

(the buffer is written to file) and then later on:

   \typebuffer

(which reads the file) now, what is supposed to end up typeset? The literal
code between \startbuffer and stopbuffer, so \eacute (as string) the o bit
char, and ^^ef (literal). if the <8bitchar> was expanded to \eacute or ^^ef
then that would be typeset verbatim since there is no way (unless one
starts adding additional code to trigger things in which case some kind of
escape character would be needed). This in itself would present other
problems, think of:

\startbuffer
<tag>some text including 8 bit chars</tag>
\stopbuffer

here context can handle the buffer as verbatim text, tex text, xml ... or
think of

\startMPcode
draw btex whatever kind of french accented text you want etex ;
\stopMPcode

or

\startJScode
   str = "something in pdfdoc encoding with 8 but chars"
\stopJScode

so, control over what gets 'expanded' or 'translated' is up to the
application (macro package) and it really depends on what one is dealing
with (internally context uses named glyphs for typeset material) and for
this purpose 8 bit in is 8 bit out. Otherwise we would force all other (non
tex) applications to think like tex when reading data (with ^^'s) which i
think is no real option -)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl