[tex-live] Technical showstopper

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Sep 13 13:52:07 CEST 2003

On Sam, 13 Sep 2003, Fabrice Popineau wrote:
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> \begin{document
>
> \tableofcontents
>
> \section{L'édition}
> Bla bla bla ...
> \end{document}
>
> You will end up with a
> ^^e9 instead of a é in the .toc file, and that's what French users will get in
> their documents.

Hmm, I get in the toc file:
\contentsline {section}{\numberline {1}L'\'edition}{1}
and nothing of ^^e9 and it was latex-ed correctly!

> _It is stated nowhere that you need to run TeX with
> -translate-file=cp8bit _

Does not change anything here.

But in fact I thought there will be é in the toc file and not \'e

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at>         Technische Universität Wien