[tex-live] [dgc@ccrwest.org: [texhax] inconsistency between pdftex and tex]

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Oct 19 20:44:33 CEST 2003

    Prepending pdf might be the right thing
    for pdftex, be we rely on some convention here and such things can
    easily fail.

Agreed.

    > Maybe we should just forget about %& altogether?

    I am unsure if there is some real use for this feature.

I'll append the most relevant message I found in my archives from 1995,
when the feature got added.  In today's environment, I am not convinced.

    I know that it is used for the metapost -> tex (resp. latex)
    communication. But, is it useful for anything else in real life?

Why would it be needed for metapost->tex/latex?  If there is *any* real
life application, then it's probably worth keeping.

Thanks,
karl