[tex-live] redhat and TeX

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Oct 10 01:09:01 CEST 2003

> 2) The basic prerequisite for doing anything is to make rpm's.  This
>    seems like it could be very useful for some people even if rh itself
>    does not adopt them for the basic system.
>
>    Is anyone (or any group) interested in starting work on that?  It's
>    obviously a very large and complex job that will take a long time.

not really. making .rpm files for each collection in the TL setup
would not be at all difficult, once you get started. HOWEVER the big
problem is that some of them would have file conflicts with teTeX,
because teTeX is a much less granular package. And teTeX (in Debian
world) is named in lots of dependencies. So you either have a rival TeX,
and get people to refer to that, or make TL coexist with teTeX, as a set
of addons.

thats my take, anyway. its long been a dream of mine

sebastian